I joined the Rasko Lab in 2011 as a Postdoctoral Fellow, and was promoted to Research Associate in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology in September 2014. Since joining the Rasko Lab I have worked primarily on the enteropathogenic E. coli (EPEC), but have also worked on projects investigating the genomic diversity of antibiotic resistance among E. coli, K. pneumoniae, and Acinetobacter spp. I am especially interested in the diversity and role of plasmids in the development of virulence or antibiotic resistance among enteric and nosocomial pathogens.
For additional info about me you can visit my SOM faculty profile here.
When not doing research I like to spend time with my family, and I also like to paint:
- Hazen, T.H., J.W. Sahl, M.S. Donnenberg, C.M. Fraser, F. Scheutz, and D.A. Rasko. 2013. Refining the pathovar paradigm via phylogenomics of the attaching and effacing Escherichia coli. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 110:12810-12815. (PMID: 23858472)
- Subashchandrabose, S., T.H. Hazen, A.R. Brumbaugh, S.D. Himpsl, S.N. Smith, R.D. Ernst, D.A. Rasko, and H. Mobley. 2014. Human-specific induction of Escherichia colifitness genes during clinical urinary tract infection. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 111: 18327-32. (PMID: 25489107)
- Hazen, T.H., L. Zhao, M.A. Boutin, G. Robinson, A.D. Harris, D.A. Rasko, and J.K. Johnson. 2014. Comparative genomics of an IncA/C multidrug resistance plasmid from Escherichia coli and Klebsiella species isolated from ICU patients: the utility of whole genome sequencing in healthcare settings. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 58: 4814-4825. (PMID: 24914121)
- Hazen, T.H., J.B. Kaper, J.P. Nataro, and D.A. Rasko. 2015. Comparative genomics provides insight into the diversity of the attaching and effacing Escherichia coli (AEEC) virulence plasmids. Infect. Immun. 83:4103-4117. (PMID: 26238712)
- Hazen, T.H., M.S. Donnenberg,S. Panchalingam, M. Antonio, A. Hossain, I. Mandomando, J.B. Ochieng, T. Ramamurthy, B. Tamboura, S. Qureshi, F. Quadri, A. Zaidi, K.L. Kotloff, M.M. Levine, E.M. Barry, J.B. Kaper, D.A. Rasko, and J.P. Nataro. 2016. Genomic diversity of EPEC associated with clinical presentations of differing severity. Nat. Microbiol. (PMID: 27571975)